How to Choose the Best Orthodontist Near Me in the Oklahoma City Area
When it comes to choosing the best orthodontist in your community, here are a few helpful steps to consider.
Easy Steps to Choose the Best Orthodontist
Certainly choosing an orthodontist is critical. After all, you are trusting your smile, or the smile of your child, to someone you’ve never met. Orthodontic treatment is potentially a long process, so by all means find a doctor and staff that you are comfortable with. Your orthodontist knows that this is an experience you’ll remember for the rest of your life. The best orthodontist will want to work with you to ensure that you have plenty to smile about.
Start by Checking Trusted Sources for Recommendations
Ask someone you trust for a recommendation. Make a list of questions that might only make sense to someone who has been through the experience of seeing an orthodontist.
Selecting an orthodontist is a bit intimidating for those who have never done it before. Therefore, it’s a good idea to ask friends and family for recommendations. Most people are happy to share their experiences. Also, don’t forget your dentist. He or she is a great resource for a recommendation — especially if his or her children have had braces.
Do A Background Check on Best Orthodontists
It’s smart to do your research. In so doing, consider education, experience, and ratings. Ratings can include traditional ratings such as Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, and local consumer reports. Also, be sure to check online reviews. However, double-check negative rankings if they seem out of character since these cannot always be trusted in today’s business climate.
Once you have a list of a few orthodontists, do a little research. Find out about their educational background. Where did they go to school and what kinds of continuing education or specialty training do they have? Before you set up your first consultation, make sure the orthodontist is a licensed member of the American Association of Orthodontists. By doing so, you will ensure your new orthodontist is up-to-date on the latest clinical procedures.
Schedule a Consultation with at Least Two Orthodontists
Please be sure to get a consultation from more than one orthodontic office. Orthodontists have different treatment styles and different personalities. Keeping that in mind, getting a consultation from more than one office is very important.
For example, some orthodontists offer specific treatment options or products that others may not. Be sure to compare the length of recommended treatment time with the cost of that treatment. Also, does the orthodontist have a digitized practice or are they using traditional methods? What difference does this make in your treatment? Ask your orthodontist to explain.
It’s also important to feel comfortable with your orthodontist. Do he or she have a pleasant manner? Do you feel like they’re listening to your concerns? Is the staff friendly and helpful? Visiting multiple offices helps ensures that you find an orthodontist that meets your needs and your budget.
The Best Orthodontists Welcome Your Questions
Remember those questions you wrote down? Don’t forget to take them with you to your consultations. Most importantly, during your consultations, be bold and ask those questions. After all, that’s the reason for your visit. Orthodontic treatment is a big investment in time and resources. Plus, let’s face it, this is your smile we are talking about!
It’s critical that you don’t leave without having a complete understanding of your orthodontic issues and the most effective options to treat them. The more informed you are, the better the decisions you will make.
A Few More Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Orthodontist
Here are a few more items to help you get your personal list of questions ready.
- Who will oversee your treatment, the orthodontist, or an assistant? Can you meet the assistant during your consultation?
- Is the office located near your home, school, or work for convenience? Is there more than one office?
- Does the orthodontist offer extended office hours before or after work or school, or on the weekend?
- What types of insurance does the office work with and what kind of financing do they offer?
- Does the orthodontist use digital records and local 3D printing to quickly replace an appliance in case one is broken or lost?
- Does the orthodontist use 3D printing and alternative materials to help keep your cost down?
- Do the orthodontist and staff seem interested in making your experience personalized? Do you feel like the office will be welcoming and comfortable for you or your child?
- Does the office welcome children, teens, and adults? How do they handle these age groups differently?
- Does the office support sustainable practices?
- How does the office support the local community and its people?
- What are the COVID-19 practices?
The entire team at Sky Ortho welcomes you to visit one of our offices in the Oklahoma City area. We are happy to show you around and discuss every question on your list. If you are ready to consult with an Oklahoma City orthodontist, please schedule with Sky Ortho today.